Friday, November 4, 2011

Steel Cut Oats

Happy Friday everyone!

When I was nusrsing Abby, or pumping for her rather, I discovered these little nuggets of greatness, I was having a lot of problems with supply due to the fact that I was solely pumping, and a breast pump has far less suction than a baby does, so my supply would rise and fall all the time and it was frustrating to say the least.  Then I discoverd a tip to try eating steel cut oats for breakfast, and I wish I could explain to you the pure joy I felt when I began over producing milk the third day I was eating them.  They are fantastically healthy, and pretty yummy as well.

Steel Cut oats, often called Irish or scottish oats, are the raw oat that is used to make rolled oats or old fashioned oats, they are in the purest form and therefore have many more benefits than regular oatmeal.  They have much more fiber and protein, as well as a good dose of Iron.  On the flipside they are a huge pain in the butt to make on the stove.  However, with more research, I found tips to try making them in the crockpot overnight and the job of having these 6 days a week for breakfast when I was nursing was made so much easier.  We still eat them pretty regularly around here, and the kids LOVE them.  Plus a bonus is not having to "make" breakfast in the early am.  For the kids I usually serve them with fresh fruit on top and whole milk mixed in, with a bit of brown sugar.  For my Husband and I, I add in brown sugar or Honey and a tablespoon  of butter.  I have also found that greek yogurt mixed in makes them super creamy.

So here is the most simple recipe you will probably find on my blog (we double it so we can just heat and eat throughout the week).

1 Cups of Steel Cut oats
4 cups of water
2 tablespoons of butter

Mix together, set crockpot on low, and leave overnight.  I usually get up to give my son a bottle around 5am so I turn it down to keep warm at that time, and when we all get up for the day, it is the perfect temperature for the kids.  These usually cook up in about 8 hours on the low setting so if you are a night owl Like us I put them in around midnight.  But if you go to bed earlier, put them on anyway and they still cook up pretty well.

It makes for a perfect weekend breakfast as well, especially after a long week :)

Enjoy!
Till next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment